Winston-Salem Juvenile Crime Lawyer

Winston-Salem Juvenile Crimes Attorney

Has your child been arrested? Are they now facing criminal charges? If so, it is important to know that you have to act fast in order to protect their rights and their future. A conviction for even a minor crime can follow your child around for the rest of their life, and time is of the essence. You need a Greensboro juvenile criminal defense lawyer by your side.

At The Law Offices of J. Scott Smith, our juvenile defense attorney is committed to providing our clients with the highest quality representation possible. Over the years, our legal team has helped many individuals fight their juvenile criminal charges, and we can help you, too.

If your child has been arrested, call 336-992-3600 and free schedule a consultation with our criminal defense attorney today.

Don’t Let A Mistake Ruin Your Child’s Future

When you work with The Law Offices of J. Scott Smith, we will take the time to get to know you and your child and to understand the circumstances that led up to the arrest. We know that children make mistakes, and those mistakes should not have to follow them for the rest of their lives.

Common juvenile crimes often include:

The juvenile justice system is different than the adult justice system, but juvenile offenders do run the risk of having their crimes elevated to adult charges. Convictions from an adult court carry adult sentencing, which means your minor child could still face jail or prison time and carry a criminal conviction for the rest of their lives.

What Are The Legal Rights Of Juveniles In North Carolina?

Juveniles charged with crimes have the same kind of rights as adults in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, except that their cases typically go through the juvenile justice system. Like adult offenders, your child has the right to an attorney, and the court will appoint one for them if you cannot afford to hire a lawyer yourself. Juveniles have the right to remain silent and the right to due process, including the right to a fair and impartial hearing as well as the right to appeal the court’s judgment.

Can A Minor Be Tried As An Adult In North Carolina?

Juveniles can be tried as adults, but moving a minor to adult court typically only happens when an older child has committed a serious crime. The type of offense and the history of criminal charges are the two main factors considered by the court.

Are Juvenile Records Automatically Expunged In North Carolina?

No. North Carolina law generally only allows the expungement of juvenile records for nonviolent misdemeanors when the convicted person files a petition for expungement and meets specific criteria. This includes at least 18 months since release from the juvenile jurisdiction, demonstrated good behavior and the offender being at least 18 years old. The petition must also include verified affidavits from two people affirming that the petitioner has a good reputation and a good character.

Call The Law Offices of J. Scott Smith, PLLC, Today

When you and your family are facing an uncertain future, do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of J. Scott Smith. Our team of trusted Greensboro juvenile crimes attorneys will create a personalized defense unique to your child. You can count on us to provide the strong representation you and your child deserve.

call 336-992-3600 today to learn more about how our juvenile crimes attorneys in Greensboro can help you, also get free consultation.

Contact Us Today By Calling 336-992-3600 Or Fill Out Our Online Contact Form Today