Effective Defense For Theft Charges In North Carolina
Have you been arrested for a theft crime? You need to take action to protect yourself and your future. At The Law Offices of J. Scott Smith, we are experienced Greensboro theft crimes attorneys who work tirelessly to protect the rights and freedoms of our clients. Our skilled legal team will seek a reduction or complete dismissal of the charges against you. You can trust us to provide the relentless representation you deserve.
Following an arrest or criminal investigation, call and schedule a consultation with our trusted criminal defense team.
Penalties For Theft Crimes
When it comes to theft crimes, it is important to remember that a lot of varying factors could ultimately determine the penalties you face. Certain situations, like breaking and entering or use of aggressive force in the theft, could draw additional charges and elevate a misdemeanor crime to a felony. Having an attorney on your side can help eliminate confusion regarding the offense, the criminal process and the penalties, and it can also help protect your rights.
If you have been arrested for any of the following crimes, call our firm right away:
- Misdemeanor larceny
- Felony larceny
- Credit card theft
- Armed robbery
Every theft charge has the potential to seriously alter the course of your life, so we encourage you to call a Greensboro theft crimes lawyer right away.
Larceny Crimes In Greensboro
There are myriad different types of larceny crimes that are charged in North Carolina, some of these include:
- Misdemeanor Larceny: If the property taken has a value of less than $1000.00
- Habitual Misdemeanor Larceny: larceny after four prior larceny convictions
- Felony Larceny: If the property taken has a value of more than $1000.00 or if the larceny was of a horse, mule, swine, cow, or dog
- Larceny of choice in action: This type of larceny deals with the theft of bank notes, checks, stock certificates, public securities, etc.
Greensboro Shoplifting And Related Crimes
More specific crimes than larceny are applied to merchants and retail sales. Some of these crimes include the following:
- Shoplifting concealment of merchandise: concealing items in a store without purchase while remaining in the store’s premises
- Shoplifting by substitution of prices: changing price tags on goods and then trying to purchase them for the substituted price
- Larceny from a Merchant
- Organized Retail Theft
Burglary And Breaking And Entering Crimes In Greensboro
Other theft crimes involve breaking into homes, buildings and cars. Some of these types of crimes are:
- First-Degree Burglary: this involves breaking into a home or apartment at night, while the home or apartment is occupied, with the intent to commit a felony or larceny inside
- Second-Degree Burglary: this involves breaking into a home or apartment or building within the curtilage of the dwelling at night with the intent to commit a felony or larceny inside
- Felony Breaking And Entering: breaking or entering into any building with the intent to commit a felony or larceny therein
- Misdemeanor Breaking And Entering: breaking or entering a building without consent
Robbery Crimes In Greensboro
In North Carolina, there are two kinds of robbery crimes: Common Law Robbery and Armed Robbery.
- Common Law Robbery: committing a larceny from a person or from his or her presence by violence or intimidation
- Armed Robbery: same as Common Law Robbery but by the use, possession or threatened use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon that threatens or endangers the life of that person
Call For Strong Representation
No matter the type of goods stolen or how they were taken, your future is on the line. By working with The Law Offices of J. Scott Smith, you could help safeguard your rights and potentially protect yourself from steep penalties and harsh criminal sentencing. At our firm, we are confident in our ability to provide outstanding representation to our clients. We encourage any individual who has been arrested to call our office right away.
We can be reached for a consultation at 336-646-7775 today.