FORSYTH COUNTY DWI DEFENSE LAWYER
J. Scott Smith received his undergraduate degree in English from Guilford College and then went on to Florida Coastal School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctor in 2005. Mr. Smith returned to North Carolina and opened LAWSMITH, The Law Offices of J. Scott Smith, PLLC in 2007 in the town of Kernersville. After spending a few years there, Mr. Smith decided to relocate his firm to the city of Winston-Salem, where it still remains. In 2013 Mr. Smith opened a second location in Greensboro, North Carolina. Mr. Smith is admitted to all North Carolina State Courts and to the Federal District Courts in the Western and Middle Districts. Most recently, in January 2012, Mr. Smith was admitted to the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Smith handles domestic cases including divorce, child custody and support, alimony, post-separation support and equitable distribution in the family law arena. In the criminal justice system, Mr. Smith handles traffic offenses, misdemeanors, and felonies. Most of his time, however, is devoted to defending those accused of Driving While Impaired in North Carolina. Mr. Smith is a member and recent Summer Session Graduate of the National College of DUI Defense, Inc. and has taught other lawyers throughout the State about defending those charged with DWI. Mr. Smith is also the State Ambassador for North Carolina and a founding member of the DUI Defense Lawyers Association. Mr. Smith travels the State and Country learning about defending impaired driving cases and has also successfully completed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 24 hour Standardized Field Sobriety course as well as NHTSA’s ARIDE (Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement) class. Mr. Smith uses this knowledge to fight for his clients in the courtroom. He knows the value of an aggressive defense and has helped numerous clients fight their DWI charges in Winston-Salem and the surrounding areas.
Mr. Smith handles a plethora of domestic cases including divorce, child custody and support, alimony, post-separation support and equitable distribution in the family law arena. He has won a number of awards for his outstanding representation, including:
- National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40” (2013 through 2015)
- National Trial Lawyers “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” (2013 through 2015)
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys “Ten Best by State Client Satisfaction Award” (2014 and 2015)
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, Inc. “Top 10 Attorney Under the Age of 40” (2014)
- American Society of Legal Advocates “Top 40 Lawyers Under 40” (2014 and 2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell® BV Rated® (2014)
Memberships and Associations:
- National College of DUI Defense, Inc.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- DUI Defense Lawyers Association, Founding Member
- DUI Defense Lawyers Association, State Ambassador
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- Forsyth County Criminal Defense Trial Lawyers Association
- United States District Court, Middle and Western Districts
- United States Supreme Court
THE LAW OFFICES OF J. SCOTT SMITH, PLLC
250 Executive Park Blvd, Suite 100
"I had quite a few charges from a license check. I really needed these charges to be dismissed. Tired of the big name ”give me a bunch of money and we’ll get a plea” attorneys, I hired Scott. He did an amazing job with the trial.Will continue to use him for any legal issues I may encounter."
"Mr. Smith is well versed in the area of DWI defense. Mr. Smith has advanced training in determining if a law enforcement officer has reached the probable cause requirement to arrest an individual for DWI..."
"Scott was wonderful. He was very honest with me about the case and my odds. He was professional and at the same time very down to earth and made me feel better about the entire case. I would recommend Scott to anyone in a DUI situation..."
A DUI Client